Galius was the first physician, since the Greek era, who noted that women who suffer from grief, anxiety and depression are more likely to get physically ill than optimistic women.
Since then, scientific studies have been trying to find a link between the cancerous disease and the human soul, and how they affect each other.
Nowadays, not a single day goes by without a new study on cancer and how to avoid it with chemical or herbal medicines, or a healthy lifestyle.
What is cancer and its relation to the soul?
Cancer is a class of contemporary psychosomatic diseases, which are the psychological diseases that affect the body and help to show the disease. This disease is a serious risk to human life where it infects one of the members and disrupts the composition of cells. These cells then begin to reproduce abnormally, forming a tissue on which the tumors are cancerous.
Many studies have shown that psychological and psychosocial factors contribute to the emergence of this disease. Some of these factors have been studied and ensured its relationship with cancer, such as:
– Depression and chronic sadness that has never been treated.
– Mental disorders that accompany the human throughout his life.
– Sudden and especially negative changes (death, divorce, abandonment, etc.).
And, of course, all these and other causes can be secondary reasons for the emergence of cancer, along with childhood problems that can be one of these reasons if the patient is suffering a kind of emotional psychological conflict (anxiety, fear, surrender, sadness, etc.) that was not addressed or he did not talk about or did not mention but tried to overlook and deny. In this case, emotional and psychological disorders can take a different direction leading to physical illness or possibly cancer.
How does psychology explain the emergence of cancer?
It is very simple seeing that humans can get upset, have feelings, and have a very important emotional center to interact with external reality and with a particular organ, which is associated to. But for some external reason (death, anxiety, depression, need for great emotion, problems in childhood, etc.), the emotional center collapses, sends false information to the organ who controls it and begins the process of producing distorted cells (cancerous cells).
Psychology considers that when conflict resolution begins with psychotherapy sessions or through communication and letting out personal problems, cancer stops growing.
Psychotherapy and Cancer!
The importance of medical treatment for cancer cannot be denied. This treatment is limited to three methods: surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Of course, treatment begins through surgery to determine whether the cancer is benign or not. If not, it will need radiotherapy or chemotherapy.
As for the psychological treatment that must accompany the medical treatment, it can be divided into the following points:
– Social support which leaves a significant positive impact for cancer patients. This type of treatment, usually within a group of people suffering from the same disease, helps to cope with the disease and the feeling of non-surrender and improves the patient’s compatibility with his illness and his refusal to die.
– During the sessions of psychological intervention, the therapist can use the positive visualization method, where he asks the patient to generate mental, sensory or cognitive images and talk about these images and their negative impact and of course to address the conflict between the patient and his imagination.
– Relaxation is one of the most important techniques to help the patient feel his body and imagining, during relaxation, that the defense system is attacking the cancerous tumor and killing it, has an effective way to help the patient. The therapist must be trained in this type of treatment to help patients overcome their fear of the disease. So, massage therapy for cancer patients is effective to reduce pain, tension, anxiety and depression.
– Changing the psychological and social factors, help the patient to heal. And, of course, in this context, the therapist asks his patients to do self-training. For example, to consider life as very precious, and to attach to it… In this way, we help the patient to be positive, and thus his defensive system strengthens and fights cancer. Therefore, one of the most important recommendations we offer cancer patients is not to give up and enjoy life.
– Staying away from people with negative personalities and expand the area of positive friends and hanging with them to more optimistic emotional state of the patient. In addition to the presence of the family near the patient supporting him to face the disease and not surrender.
– Talk with a psychologist about all the problems, concerns, and difficulties that the patient feels, as it is known that when we speak of a particular problem, it solves half of it.